Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My new love affair

    I have a new love.  Now, don't get me wrong, I'm still in love with my husband, my kids, our life.  But, I have discovered a new love.  Well, two actually.  I'm in love with power tools and spray paint.  I've discovered the joys of both of these things over the summer.  I blame it on Pinterest.  Have I mentioned I'm also in love with Pinterest?

     I'll start by saying that I was really really jonesing for some new bedroom furniture.  Our current bedroom furniture Ken bought in 1989.  Everything about it screamed early 90's with the end of big hair and the beginning of boy bands.   I was needing something fresh, something new, something spa like, something without a price tag of  several thousand dollars.   Because let me tell you, being a ballpark mom does not allow one to go out and just plop down several thousand on a brand new bedroom suit and call it a day. No, no.  I mean I have batting lessons to pay for, pitching lessons to pay for, new bats, new cleats, new batting gloves and those all elusive Nike Elite socks at $15 a pair that my 13 year old covets so much.  Sigh.

     Anyway, moving along.  I had seen on Pinterest the joys of painting furniture and thought, why not?  How much could it hurt?  I mean the furniture is a mess anyway, I'll give it a go.   So, I went to Home Depot, got some gray spray paint and a little sandpaper and I was off to the races.  I decided to do the bedside table first because it was small and in the far corner.  And if I messed it up, it wouldn't show too much and I'd leave the rest of the furniture the way it was.   I also decided that I would "rough it up" a bit and give it a Pottery Barn kind of look.  Hey! might as well go for the gusto, right?  Well, whadda ya know?  I think it turned out beautiful!  It looked so good, I proceeded with the other pieces.   I did throw the huge hutch that went to the dresser out, no way to make that thing look more modern.  I'm so proud of my pieces.  I've much more practicing to do.  But, it gave me such a feeling of accomplishment and quite frankly I found it very therapeutic.  My "new" furniture cost me roughly $20 total.   I'm loving the whole set.







*all opinions in this blog are my own*

2 comments: